Crystal Programming Language
This is the language reference for the Crystal programming language.
Crystal is a programming language with the following goals:
- Have a syntax similar to Ruby (but compatibility with it is not a goal).
- Be statically type-checked, but without having to specify the type of variables or method arguments.
- Be able to call C code by writing bindings to it in Crystal.
- Have compile-time evaluation and generation of code, to avoid boilerplate code.
- Compile to efficient native code.
Contributing to the Language Reference
Do you consider yourself a helpful person? If you find bugs or sections which need more clarification you're welcome to contribute to this language reference. You can submit a pull request to this repository: https://github.com/crystal-lang/crystal-book
Thank you very much!
Building and Serving Locally
$ git clone https://github.com/crystal-lang/crystal-book.git $ cd crystal-book $ npm install -g email@example.com $ npm install $ gitbook serve Live reload server started on port: 35729 Press CTRL+C to quit ... info: 8 plugins are installed info: loading plugin "ga"... OK ... Starting server ... Serving book on http://localhost:4000
Html output will be in
_book folder (some links won't work if opening the files locally).
There is also a docker environment to avoid installing dependencies globally:
$ docker-compose up ... gitbook_1 | Starting server ... gitbook_1 | Serving book on http://localhost:4000 gitbook_1 | Restart after change in file node_modules/.bin ...
Adding a page
To add a page, create a markdown file in the desired location. Example:
overview/hello_world.md. Then, add a link in the
SUMMARY.md file which acts as the navigation for the language reference.